Friday, June 3, 2011

Reflection

Hello and welcome to my E-Portfolio! I want to start by telling you a little about me. My name is Audra West and I am a single mom trying to raise a 9 year old boy on my own. I like to spend time with my friends and family and just be myself. I decided to go back to school to make a better life for me and my son. I have never really been much of a writer, not because I believe I am incapable, I just have never really liked putting pen to paper. When I do write I prefer writing with a narrative style and have found this course a challenge at times. I am taking English 101 as a prerequisite for the nursing program.
                This course has challenged my thinking of the diverse society we live in. I have learned that there is much more depth to our identities, communities, and traditions. Our identities are not only who we are, but also what others see in us. Communities contribute to our identities in the way that we conform to the specific rules specified as a condition of acceptance within them.  Our traditions are very diverse and also define us and what communities we choose to join and thrive in. I feel that I have learned a lot about academic writing in this course, even though I still do not enjoy writing.
                I have chosen a few of the pieces I have written this quarter to share with anyone who would like to read them.  Among them you will find one piece about tradition, one on community, one on being outcast, and finally one on identity. I tried to include a wide variety of both topics and types of work to showcase the depth of this course.  While I do not like to write, I have enjoyed this course and feel I have learned some valuable information that makes me a better writer in the end. Hope you enjoy what you read and hope to see some of you in future classes.

No comments:

Post a Comment