Friday, June 3, 2011

Critical Thinking At My Best

This is a very interesting topic to ponder. Human beings have a natural need to belong and in order to do that we need to know what the rules are.
In "Befriending Barbie" by Shari Caudron, we see that are rules of conduct in serious doll collecting. Caudron infers that collectors that keep thier collection in unopened, pristine boxes are more serious about their place in this community than the others that remove the dolls from their boxes. Notice also, that in this essay by Caudron,there are certain characteristics to all "Barbie" enthusiasts, "Barbie people are really friendly"(169) and "We really, really love pink."(168) So to fit in with this community we have to be friendly and love pink. In this case I believe that in order to belong you need to have a deep love and appreciation for Barbie. 

John A. Hostetler states that in order to be a part of the amish community you must separate yourself from the "outside world."(142) You must also follow specific rules to belong, wear modest, simple clothing, do not own anything decorative, men wear a full beard, etc. If these rules are not followed, an idividual is no longer allowed to belong in this community and is "shunned". I grew up in a christian household and while I believe in some of the teachings, it is not my choice to belong in this community. 

I agree with David Berreby, in that we want to belong to our communities. In this class for example, I want to belong in this group but in order to do that I need to know what is expected of me from my professors and my peers.

No comments:

Post a Comment